Propane & BBQ Safety
The leading equipment involving in LP-gas home structure fires is a grill, hibachi, or barbecue.
- Handle any propane-powered equipment cautiously and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Cylinder tanks for equipment such as stoves and ovens must be located outside of the home.
- Never store or use propane gas cylinders larger than one pound inside the home.
- Never operate a propane-powered gas grill inside the home.
- Have propane gas equipment inspected periodically by a professional for possible leaks or malfunctioning parts.
- Carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions when lighting a pilot.
- If you smell a strong odor of gas, leave the area immediately and call the fire department from outside the home.
For more information, visit the Propane Education and Research Council website.